Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Sadly, it didn't last. I GIVE UP!

Well, it didn't last.  Perhaps for a few weeks, but in the end, my delivery problems returned with a vengeance.  It became so bad that I put my delivery on semi-permanent vacation hold while I relied completely on the new Digital Replica edition,  for which I paid a modest additional monthly fee.

This was OK until recently, when my wife announced that she missed having a real Sunday paper, so I resumed our Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday delivery.  Literally every paper ends up in one of two places -- 10+ feet off the driveway in the muddy swale or in the westbound lane of the county highway which goes past my house.  When the paper is left in the road, inevitably, the it is run over and then scattered to the four winds.  Twice in the last month, my Sunday paper has been scattered on both sides of the road and in both my yard and my neighbor's.  Another week this month, it was drizzling and the paper was left in the swale.  I saw it as we left for church, but didn't want to retrieve it from the muddy ditch at that time.  By the time we got home, the rain had become quite heavy and the swale was filled with water.  I couldn't even see my newspaper.

In utter exasperation, I called the 1-800-TRIBUNE customer service number last Monday to cancel.  I was PROMISED that a manager would call me within 48 hours.  Nope.  This Sunday, my paper was again in the road.  All that was intact was the bag containing the advertisements.  On Monday, I cancelled for good.

I would be happy with a digital subscription, but The Chicago Tribune charges significantly more per month for that then for Sunday only delivery plus the digitial subscription.  I refuse to pay more than $13/mo for digital access, especially when they charge only $10/mo to Nook subscribers.  I am left with no options.  Home "delivery" is far more work and aggravation than it is worth and the digital subscription is far overpriced.

I really want to subscribe.  I want to support having a quality local newspaper, but the Tribune has left me no viable option for delivery.  So, Goodbye Tribune.  

No comments:

Post a Comment